Wednesday, July 14, 2021

SC - 355 Legends Slot Car Project

 

Had to share this with the Slot Car enthusiasts out there!
Finished! “SC-355 Legends Project” oil on canvas, 18” x 24.” Finally got my nephew @protinkertoys.com off my back, lol. As mentioned before, this piece (a commission) is not meant to be photo-realism or any kinda of style/ism other than a simple “see and brush” painting. It has an aura of slot car night at the race track. Featured are, Bobby Isaac # 71, Richard Petty # 43, Cale Yarborough # 11. (You can see the actual cars on the easel shelf.)
The background and parts of the foreground were blurred to put an emphasis on the middle ground. Markings kept reminding me of Dutch artist Pieter Bruegel the Elder “Adoration of the Magi in the Snow” and painter Peter Doig (no intention, just reminded me.)
The one thing I didn’t think of when I accepted the commission was the slot car decals, ugh. Never again, my eyes are already worn enough, ha.
Looking into the car surfaces at the reflections and abstractions of the colors and shapes caused me to look multiple times for clarity. (At times I thought of the up-an-coming neo-abstractionist @erick_anderson (Instagram) he has a mesmerizing expression of space and light in his paintings, check him out.)
Now I can get back to my Haiku/Haiga mini, minimalist, waterscape, painting series!

No comments: