Monday, April 18, 2016

Badlands off Old Northeast Road

Development of a new painting in between commissions, oil on canvas, 36" x 36" (square format.)
This painting is a deconstruction of a landscape - rendering a reversal of the scene, to a point of "fusion of line and form" by the use of gestural linear marks in relationship to shapes and colors.
Based on a small 2" x 3" watercolor study I had done at the Badlands National Park, South Dakota, during my artist in residency (more info on the watercolor study can be seen in my coffee table book.) This scene is located just off Old Northeast Road looking West. I was intrigued by the window in the rock wall on a very clear day, with a warm breeze moving across the dry grass, creating a shimmering movement of color and line (I can still hear the prairie grass and crunch under foot of the gravel.) Love that place.

Once completed it will be available for sale. Any questions email me at youngtimothyw@gmail.com

No comments: