Saturday, September 12, 2015

Four's a Crowd

Four's a Crowd, oil on canvas, 48" x 48"
(For sale: $2,800, contact me at youngtimothyw@gmail.com)
This piece is one of the paintings featured in my solo exhibit, "New Paintings" that opened Thursday the 10th, at The Robert E. Wilson Art Gallery. The gallery is located in the Merillat Center for the Arts building on the Huntington University campus, Huntington, Indiana. The show runs through October 16th. There is an artist reception, open to the public, Friday, September 18th, 6:00pm-7:30pm, should be lively.
The painting has a story, and some influences throughout which will be partially discussed at the opening. In short, one late afternoon these deer invaded my bird feeding space and began devouring their food. As I came to the patio door to shoo them away, the one turned and stared at me as if saying, “hey, what’s your problem, we're eating.” The composition (triad posturing of their heads, etc.), the lighting, the color was so visually organized I couldn’t help but grab my old LG cell phone and take a picture and use it as a painting source. I proceeded to paint the composition vigorously, punctuating areas of interest throughout.

No comments: