Tuesday, November 23, 2021

The Guardians - Fishing Lures (work in progress)

Rare I show a work in progress, but here we go again. Shown is the first color wash I’ve laid down of “The Guardians”, oil on canvas, 36” x 36”. Yes, fishing lures! There is something fascinating about fishing lures that has caught my eye, thus my interest to paint them. Could be the materials that make up the lures, or the history behind lures, maybe the stories behind a special lure. (We’ve all heard a good fish story, especially the one that got away, ha.)

These particular old classic lures were found in the Sam Rayburn Reservoir, Texas, by a lure collector. From a number of other lures found I selected these three from her collection for their value, visual appeal as a trio, and how I could compose them on the canvas. I lined them up vertically, displaying them as is, exposing worn and rusted areas. I must have adjusted the positions of the hooks a dozen times or more till I was pleased with the composition. My favorite part so far is the hooks and their angles - love that gesture line. Notice I also include their eyes.

Stay tuned for further updates, and as I’ve been asked by a fishermen (fisher) yes I do commissions. If you have an interest in having your favorite lures painted (my style) DM for more info.



No comments: